DPIF: Inference

Inference-Methods

Students consider how methods of generating, collecting, and analyzing data may affect the inferences made given the context of the investigation. 

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. How familiar am I with the investigative methods that are employed to create the inference? If I am not familiar, are there resources available?
  2. How can I engage student in exploring how different methods can create different inferences given the same context?
  3. How do I engage students in assessing how their inferences have changed as a result of different investigative methods?

Student Prompts

1. How are inferences affected by the methods used? 
  2. How would inference change if you had employed a different method (ie. sampling more people, sampling more locations, etc)? 
  3. Which investigative method is most appropriated to create an inference given the context of the situation?

Inference-Technology

Students consider the types of tools that can help with inference making given the context of the investigation. 

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. What tools do I know of that can be used for inference making? If I am not familiar with these tools, what resources can I look up?
  2. How do I engage students in identifying certain criteria for determine which inference making tool should be used based on the context of the situation?
  3. How do I engage students in comparing the pros and cons of different inference making tools?

Student Prompts

1. What tool is used to support the inference making process? 
  2. What tools can help with performing statistical tests to support inference making?
  3. How is the tool appropriate given the context (ie. the question being investigated, the people using this tool, etc)? 
  4. How might one tool be more preferable for inference making than another tool (ie. based on context, ease of access/use)?

Inference-Communications

Considering the context of the investigation, students communicate and/or evaluate inferences based on the data. 

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. How do I engage students in considering when an informal or formal inference is appropriate?
  2. How do I engage students in communicating inferences in a manner that is appropriate given the context of the investigation?
  3. How do I engage students in exploring the significance of uncertainty in an inference?

Student Prompts

1. What does the data say about the population? 
  2. How should the inference be communicated (ie. how it should be worded, who is it choosing to include, etc) so that it is appropriate given the context of the investigation? 
  3. How can you decide whether you trust this inference or not?
  4. Is it communicated with a certain level of uncertainty? Were statistical tests mentioned when making this inference? How might that influence your interpretation of the inference? 
  5. When might an informal or formal inference be appropriate for the situation?

Inference-Ethics

Students consider whether inferences made pose ethical concerns given the context of the investigation.

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. How can I handle ethical issues that arise in a sensitive, caring, and empathetic way?
  2. How can I begin engaging students in considering who may be affected negatively by a certain inference?
  3. How can I engage students in reimagining an inference that is fair and just?

Student Prompts

1. How does a particular inference affect the audience’s understanding of the population being mentioned in the inference? 
  2. Is the inference being made fair? Who might be hurt by such a statement?
  3. If ethical concerns are posed, how might the inference need to be adjusted?

People