DPIF: Variability

Variability-Methods

Students consider how the methods employed may produce variations within the data given the context of the investigation. 

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. What do I know about how the data is collected?
  2. What are some of my ideas as to how the logistics of the data collection may produce variations (ie. how the questions is worded, when/where the data collection took place)?
  3. How might I structure an activity where students begin exploring how the question or data collection plan can bring about differences in data?

Student Prompts

1. How might the way the questions are being asked affect how certain people answered? 
  2. What might have happened during the data collection process that made some points more different than others? 
  3. How did the timing or location of when data collection is done affect the resulting data?
  4. How might adjustments to the questions or data collection plan affect subsequent results?

Variability-Technology

Students consider how the technology employed may produce variations in the data given the context of the investigation.

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. What do I know about how the tools operate?
  2. What are my predictions for why the tools used may produce certain variations?
  3. What activity should I create so that students can begin exploring how the tools may contribute to variations?
  4. How do I structure an activity where students explore the effects of applying different tools on the same problem?
  5. How do I structure an activity where students can decide on what tool is appropriate after considering the context of the problem?

Student Prompts

1. How might the technology used affect the types of data that is being collected? 
  2. How would using a different tool produce a different spread? 
  3. How might using a combination of tools produce a different spread?
  4. Was the tool calibrated appropriately? If not, what adjustments need to be made?
  5. Based on the variability observed, how might the tool be appropriate/inappropriate depending on the context of the situation?

Variability-Communications

Considering the context of the investigation, students communicate and evaluate variability AND the claims and data stories resulting from variability.

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. How do I scaffold an activity for students to identify variability?
  2. How do I structure an activity where students explore how their interpretations of the claims can be affected based on their analysis of variability in data?
  3. How do I scaffold an activity where students explain the variability they observe in the data?

Student Prompts

1. Did the data generators/analysts address variabilities in their analysis, claim, and/or data story? 
  2. How might addressing vs not addressing variability affect your interpretation of the claims/ data story?
  3. To what degree do you believe in the data story given an absence or presence of mentioning variability?
  4. How might you choose to frame the variability depending on the context of the problem?

Variability-Ethics

Students consider the ethical concerns associated with variability given the context of the investigation.

Teacher Reflection Prompts

1. How do I handle issues of ethics that come up in a sensitive, caring, and empathetic manner?
  2. How do I engage students in an discussion of how variability may reflect ethical issues?
  3. How do I structure an activity where students can reimagine a more ethical investigation based on the issues of ethics reflected by the variability?

Student Prompts

1. How does variability highlight how the question being asked or the results being shown may pose some issues in terms of social justice or morals? 
  2. Given the ethical issues raised by the variability, how might the investigative steps or the data be adjusted so that it is fair and just? 

People